Wednesday, April 26, 2006
Please come out to Shop for a Cure!
My husband's aunt was diagnosed with breast cancer last year. She was very faithful with her mammogram's every year, yet it did not pick up the cancer in her breast that she had growing for 4 years. Thanks to a self exam, she found the lump and quickly brought it to the attention of her doctor. Unfortunately, she had to have this breast removed last summer.

At this point, I decided to get involved with doing something to help in research for breast cancer. With the help of Kate Carmody, owner of Kate's Creative Hair Design and a breast cancer survivor, I organized "Pamper for a Cure" in October of 2005. I was on a mission to pamper guests who came into Kate's salon with Country Bunny Bath & Body products and donate my entire commission that month to The American Cancer Society in Northeast PA. Kate and I, along with some very wonderful local businesses who matched our donation, raised $1000.

Myself, Kate and Kim (ACS Wayne Unit Pres. of the Board of Directors).
Through all of this, I began to meet other women just diagnosed with breast cancer, those who have survived and the family members of those who had not. In fact, one of my good friend's lost her mother to breast cancer in March of 2005. In the last year I had organized 2 Women's Shopping Expo's (similar to a craft fair) here in my area, so transitioning those events into "Shop for a Cure" was an easy decision. I chose to also support Ovarian Cancer, as I feel it is just as important as breast cancer. Ovarian Cancer is known as the "silent killer" because its symptoms closely resemble having the flu. (See Symptoms here). I also felt like Ovarian Cancer is not in the news enough (in fact, rarely) and I really wanted to bring it into the spotlight.

I chose The American Cancer Society as my charity of choice because they are more in contact with local women who need support. The money that is raised through Shop for a Cure will help local women, and that means a lot to me. As I did with Pamper for a Cure, I will be asking the ACS to designate the money raised to go towards services for women diagnosed with breast and ovarian cancer. This includes, but is not limited to, assistance with transportation to chemo./dr. appt.'s, assistance with medication costs, assistance with wigs, support groups, etc. A portion of the proceeds from Shop for a Cure go to the Northeast PA Chapter of The American Cancer Society. This is done through a combination of the general admission fee and from some of the vendors who will be donating various percentages on this day. The Relay for Life team involved will be holding a bake sale and afghan raffle.

As a member of the Wayne County Chamber of Commerce, I am also inviting my fellow chamber members to match or partially match the funds we raise. If you are in the Northeast PA area, or closeby in New York or New Jersey, won't you come out and support this event? I want to beat my last donation of $1000 and it can only be done with your help.
(The Relay for Life team, Kim and myself.)



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home